Saturday, January 22, 2011

Butterick 4919: altered bodice + fabric choices

I added some side darts to the bodice and made a tuck on each side of the neckline, which I have just stitched as darts for now to get the idea. I then turned under and stitched down the seam allowance along the neckline (in the actual dress, the edges are finished by a facing piece that is sewn like a lining). I threw a couple of hooks on the back so I could get it to stay on. I think the fit is much better now. I might also add a little more length to the shoulder seams so my bra straps don't show.

I'm sorry this picture is so blurry, but it's the best I could get by myself. You can kind of see the tucks I made at the neckline near the center front. (Any advice on how to alter the pattern for this?)

(If I had more shame, I would not post this  picture of me in my baggy pants and messy living room on the internet, but I guess I don't.)

Here are the two fabrics I'm thinking about. The top one is a cotton voile with a black background; the bottom a black woven polyester. The coin on the black fabric is a quarter.

2 comments:

  1. I love that cotton voile--can I ask where you purchased it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The voile is from fabric.com. I bought it about a year ago, but they may still have it. The print is much larger than I thought it would be, but it's pretty.

    ReplyDelete