Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sherlock Batman Holmes - Vogue 7044


Hi everyone! My name is Heather, and I write about my ongoing battle with a sewing/fabric/pattern addiction at Featherty Sews.

In December I started a vintage jacket project so I was super excited to join this sew-along when I heard about it! Sadly, that jacket has been moved to the side due to some misgivings I have about the general fit. Not to worry! I picked up a new vintage project last week and that's what I'll be sharing here.

I like to call it the Sherlock Holmes-meets-Batman coatcape. It's a coat with cape sleeves, and I'm making it out of black melton wool my mom gave me that had been in my grandma's stash for a while. We're 99% positive it's Pendleton, as all of her woolens were Pendleton.

On a whim, I decided to forego the muslin this time and just give it a go. This may turn out to be my Waterloo because I had to resize the pattern from 32 bust to 36.

I started off by interfacing the entire body with Palmer Pletsch Pro-tailor interfacing, recommended by quite a few better sew-ists than me who recently completed the Winter Wear contest on Pattern Review. It was on sale over the New Year so I splurged.

After spending all that time cutting and interfacing, I was so excited to get started on the project!


First step? Make three bound buttonholes. Something I've never done before. But I've made plenty of welt pockets so I followed this tutorial and carefully measured, marked and stitched and I am really happy with how they've turned out.

As you can see, my first buttonhole was off by exactly one stitch. Easy fix, thank goodness, since they have to line up exactly the same.



The second step is assembling the cape sleeves. I'm underlining the coat with houndstooth flannel, hence the crazy print on the inside. The seams and hemline are also interfaced with more Tailor-pro.



That's as far as I've gotten. I hope to get the sleeves lined and attached this evening, and then hopefully start in on the body work maybe tomorrow night? I have a three and four-year-old underfoot so my sewing is usually done in very short spurts! Here's hoping for another long stretch.

6 comments:

  1. This looks like a wonderful project - love it! You are game not doing a muslin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting coat, can't wait to see how it turns out. Hope it fits, though for a cut like that I'd probably forgo a muslin, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes even MissMuslin does not make a muslin. With mixed results. Go ahead........it looks good so far.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome fabric and I am so in love with that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "first" bound buttonholes look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_piQWejWqDKo/StnolN_ZIhI/AAAAAAAADSQ/wOJbdJ7tbvM/s1600-h/21.jpg

    Love this coat..Very Balenciaga style...!!

    ReplyDelete