Monday, January 3, 2011

Fabric, Check!


Spring Frock Fabric
I scored these two fabrics from Joann's for 50% off the red tag price of $6/yd, so my total cost for fabric was under $20. There are 4 half circle panels for the skirt and two yards of cotton stretch satin for the blouse.

Pattern? Sort of. I've got *half* a pattern. I'm planning on using a Butterick that I've used before with abysmal results and hoping for a better end product. My only problem is the skirt pattern. I want a drop-waist pattern so that I can make the waist yoke out of the pink and have a crinoline attached underneath. So far though, I'm having no luck at all on Etsy. My plan is to have a skinny belt in pink as well.

View A, sans jabot
Hopefully, I'll be able to find what I'm looking for soon. I'd prefer a 1950s style over 40s, just because of the skirt fabric being so full.

And while I'm here, I'll introduce myself. My name is Nina Suluh (pronounced like Sulu from Star Trek) and I've been sewing for over 3 decades now. Which sounds like a lot, but if you figure that I've been "sewing" since I was 4 years old, then it's not so bad. I started with Barbie clothes and moved to Cabbage Patch dolls and then took a hiatus for a few years. I would dabble occasionally, but never really was able to make garments for me because I lacked real fitting no-how. It wasn't until I was married and had kids for a while that I was able to venture into "grown up" clothes. Kids' clothing is good practice for adult clothing. You can master the art of finishing before moving on to fitting.

4 comments:

  1. I love your skirt fabric, very vintage looking! Almost makes me want to hit the clearance aisle at Joann's today... can't wait to see your pattern choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you using this blouse pattern? And if so, which one? Love the pattern and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juliane - Yes, I'm using the blouse, most likely View A without the big ruffly thing. Or I might use the one with the scallops around the buttons. I'm undecided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty fabric - it looks quite fifties. Good luck with your pattern search!

    ReplyDelete